Friday, June 10, 2011

Beijing Day 2

Today, we started with a trip to the Jade Factory, where we learned the different qualities of Jade, how to tell real from fake (marble or glass) and, of course, made some purchases - how could you not after learning about the healing qualities of Jade (or Jade-ite, the higher quality Jade).  I always thought Jade was pretty inexpensive.  I learned all about how expensive Jade-ite is and how it has increasedin price over the past year.  

After the Jade Factory, we conquered the Great Wall.  Words just cannot describe the beauty of it, so why not just enjoy the photos:  


Since the SiMaTai section is closed, we went to the MuTianYu section, which is a little bit less crowded, but still a "tourist spot".  We took the chair lift from the base to the wall.  This is where I learned of Sheri's fear of heights!!!  LOL  But, she did great!!   The chair lift (like a ski lift) took us to Tower 5 and you have the option of going to the right to Tower 1 or to the left to Tower 23; or you can take a Cable Car that takes you to Tower 14.






I don't really know exactly what Tower I arrived at after climbing this flight of stairs (see photos below -- I really DID!!), but there's a sign that does not permit you to go further.

I'll say, the view from the top was pretty damn impressive!!! 



The climb was treacherous, but worth every step!!  The entire way down, I couldn't help humming ...  "I am strong, strong.  I am invincible, invincible.  I am Woman!!"  What an incredible experience.

5 comments:

  1. Wow. We really enjoyed the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is some view...I saw that chair rail..sheri i'm with you...i would have been scared! Loving all the pictures..keep posting. It wont be long now until you meet Hadley...can't wait to see those pictures! Keep posting..i look forward to them everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The climb is incredible, isn't it? I thought I was fit before trying that :-)

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is kaitlyn and betsy and we just looked at all of the pictures of you at the Great Wall of China. It looks amazing!!!! I wish i could have seen that. How long is it? Tomorrow you get to meet Hadley!!! My mom says OMG!!!! I am so excited for you. I cant wait to meet Hadley and i cant wait to babysit her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan and I went up the Great Wall during our trip to get Nicole, you are bringing back all the memories of those VERY STEEP steps. Being only 5'2", going up those steps were like climbing up cliffs and going down...I couldn't look down...I had to let myself DROP to the step below. I could not wait to get down. You are very brave!

    ReplyDelete